Sunday 15 August 2010

Courgette tart

The first of the season's leeks arrived in the Riverford box this week, and I planned to make a leek tart. I even ordered cream and eggs with this is mind, but thinking about cream and eggs gave me a craving for crème brulée. We're also right in the middle of the English courgette season, and I was looking for something different to do with this week's courgettes. Leiths Baking Bible came to the rescue with this courgette tart.

The filling is made from a roux-based cheese sauce enriched with an egg yolk and lightened with the stiffly beaten white - a denser than usual cheese souflée. This is topped with sliced courgettes sautéed in butter with garlic and lemon zest, then breadcrumbs and grated cheese before being baked in the oven. It looks a bit untidy, but tastes great. Better still, it left me with the cream and plenty of eggs to make crème brulée, which has just come out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment