Monday 16 August 2010

Beetroot curry

Not the first thing you'd think of doing with beetroot, but tasty all the same: Riverford's beetroot curry. I deviated from the recipe a bit, bulking it out with some potatoes, using tinned tomatoes rather than fresh, lemon juice rather than lime, and 400ml coconut milk (what else do you do with the other 300ml from the can?). I added the coconut milk at the same time as the tomatoes and let it reduce gently while the vegetables cooked, making for a much richer sauce than the original recipe. The beetroot gives this curry a sweet edge, so it needs the acid from the citrus to compensate. I tasted the fresh chilli before adding it to the pan: it almost blew my head off, so I just put in one. But it reduced in potency as it cooked, so I ended up adding the other one and some hot chilli powder before I was done. Acidity and heat are very much personal tastes, so best to add a little at a time and taste as you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment